Frequently Asked Questions
I have a Facebook page, Instagram... Why would I need a website?
1 – Credibility & brand image
Having your own website gives credibility to your business. Would you have subscribed to your Internet Service Provider if he had only one Facebook page ? Would you believe I am a web developer if I only had an Instagram page ? Neither would I.
2 – Features
A simple page on social networks will never allow your visitors to create their own profiles and order products.
3 – Identity
A website is customizable from A to Z and can be designed to look just like you, while a Facebook page will always remain a Facebook page.
4 – Independence
Last but not least. We can’t do or say anything we want on social media and there is no guarantee that Facebook, Twitter or Instagram will never delete your page or profile arbitrarily. This won’t happen with your own website, because your website is your private space and only belongs to you.
Why ask a professional?
The web has evolved so much that nowadays almost anyone can create websites without any professional knowledge in web development. And, let’s face it, it’s pretty awesome. But while sites like Wix or Squarespace are great to create very basic websites, chances are your website will look exactly the same as millions out there, and have limited features that will keep your business from growing.
This is where the professional web developer comes in. My role is to make your website a tailor-made digital home, the very one you have imagined. A place that looks like you and no one else.
Why call on a freelancer rather than an agency?
1 – Best Rates
In most cases, freelance rate will cost you less than an agency. Working alone, his/her operating costs are significantly reduced, resulting in a more advantageous hourly rate.
2 – Flexibility
In the case of a company whose projects fluctuate over time and may not necessarily be able to hire an additional person, the flexibility a freelancer offers may be the answer.
3 – A personalized exchange
When working with a freelance, you have a direct access and a dedicated point of contact. He/she gets to know all aspects of your project and is able to respond to your needs accordingly.
What is WordPress? How is it better?
- WordPress is a CMS, short for Content Management System. A CMS allows you to manage the content of your website yourself, meaning that once the website is set up, you should be able to update it with your own content (articles, etc.) without the help of a professional web developer.
- Why WordPress? There are countless other CMS out there but WordPress is by far the most popular one in use. Did you know that one out of three websites was made using WordPress? First released in 2003 as a blogging tool, it has evolved to support all types of web content including e-commerce stores, media galleries, forums, mailing lists, and learning platforms. WordPress has a very active community of developers and have a diverse and vast numbers of plugins and templates available.
What are a domain name and a web host?
- A domain name simply refers to your address on the Internet. For example: www.mycompany.com
- A web host is the company that hosts your website. It owns big data centers, each comprised of servers configured to keep your website running 24/7.
What if I don't have any of these yet?
No problem. I can help you set this up.
Responsive website, mobile-friendly... What is it about?
- These terms are synonyms. They both refer to how your website should be displayed on smaller screens (tablets, smartphones, small laptops), as opposed to a regular desktop screen. The goal of responsive design is to build websites that detect your visitors’ screen size and orientation and change the layout accordingly.
- An increasingly large number of online visitors now use a smartphone to surf the web, therefore every website should be developed in that regard.
- Furthermore, Google inclines to rank mobile-friendly websites higher as they provide a better user experience.
What is SEO (Search Engine Optimization)?
- SEO is the practice of optimizing website content to be discovered through a search engine’s (such as Google) search results. Many factors such as using specific keywords, the website’s codes, loading time, volume of traffic etc. can contribute to a higher ranking on search engines.
- I am committed to taking SEO into consideration for every website I make. However, many factors are out of my control, such as the number of a website’s competitors, prevent me from giving any guarantee that a website will rank high on Google.
How much? How long?
- Although I decided to display an estimate of the prices of the services I provide for better clarity, the overall cost of your project will depend on the time required to complete it, which I will be able to assess only after I have studied all the aspects concerning your project. The more content, features and style effects your website requires, the longer it will take to create.
- If you want to submit a project request, receive an estimate or simply get some information, do not hesitate to contact me using the form down below ☺
Can you create my logo?
I can find graphic designers to create logos for you.
What happens after the website is done?
I will offer the following services upon request:
- Tutorial : upon request, if you are not familiar with the use of the WordPress admin dashboard, I can provide you with a step-by-step PDF tutorial on how to manage your website (posting articles, etc.).
- Maintenance : WordPress being the most popular CMS, it’s a tempting prey to many hackers. This is why the core developers of the WordPress team release updates on a regular basis, to fix potential security breaches in the WordPress core code. So your WordPress website needs to be updated on a regular basis, whether it is a core update, a theme update, or a plugin update.
- Updating your website is not that difficult. The tricky part though is that, on rare occasions, one of those numerous updates may end up “breaking” parts of your website. This might never happen but there is no such thing as zero risk. This is why, upon request, I propose to take care of the website’s maintenance in exchange for a monthly fee that will depend on the size of your website (number of pages, features, plugins, etc.).